During this time of recovery following Hurricane Michael, FCAAP will stay in close communication with the American Academy of Pediatrics Disaster Preparedness Advisory Council (“AAP DPAC”) to secure and provide resources for the families, practices, and patients of Florida’s pediatricians. The AAP DPAC’s connections with federal agencies such as the CDC Children’s Preparedness Unit, the FEMA national children’s advisor, Save the Children, the American Red Cross, and Child Care Aware, will help FCAAP and its members during this recovery period.
Resources will be posted on this website as they become available. Below are some resources that can be used immediately:
- Keeping Children Safe After Hurricanes (created during Superstorm Sandy and updated for Hurricane Harvey) – Available in multiple languages.
- Clinician Recommendations Regarding Return of Children to Areas Impacted by Flooding and/or Hurricanes
- Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning after an emergency (English) (Spanish)
- Clean up your home (English) (Spanish)
- Mold FAQs (English) (Spanish)
- Carbon monoxide FAQs (English) (Spanish)
- Coping after a disaster (English) (Spanish)
- AAP and Children and Disasters Website
- Floods/Flash Floods
- Helping Children Cope and Adjust
- Information for Pediatric Practices
- Flooding Information for Parents: Flash Flooding Recovery Info for Parents
- Be prepared to cope with feelings of fear, grief and depression after Hurricane Michael.
- Resources- Lactation & Infant Feeding in Emergencies
- The Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, year-round crisis counseling and support in English and Spanish. Call 1-800-985-5990 (TTY for deaf/hearing impaired: 1-800-846-8517) or text TalkWithUs or HÁBLANOS to 66746.
Telemedicine companies staffed by pediatricians and who are already providing pediatric care in partnership with FL based organizations such as Nemours are offering free medical care for simple conditions to all those impacted by Hurricane Michael. Many of our FCAAP pediatricians provide service to patients through one or more of the following:
- MDLIVE 888-959-9516 and provide the code MICHAEL18 to schedule their initial consultation.
- Doctors on Demand enter the code HURRICANEMICHAEL to redeem a free visit with a medical physician
Details are available here.
Additional information on pediatric telehealth care is available from the AAP Section on Telehealth Care.
Additional New Resources: